Wednesday, September 4, 2013

New England September Soup

I have been waiting ALL YEAR to make this soup! I started it a month ago, when I bought corn, blanched it, removed the kernels from the cob, and froze the kernels and the cobs separately. Maybe I started it a year ago when I first discovered the recipe, but it was October already, and I was looking for soups for soup swap, and couldn't bring myself to make September Soup in October. Maybe I started it a month ago when I bought a Vitamix. In any event, I finally made it. My goooooooooood friends are coming to visit today, and I wanted it to be here awaiting, for part of our erev rosh hashone meal.

Of course, me being me, I couldn't leave enough alone, and modified the recipe. I didn't use chicken broth (lobster corn broth seemed better to me, and plenty rich)—and actually, once I blended it up in my magical Vitamix, it was super creamy from the corn and squash, and I did not add milk or cream, because, again, it seemed plenty rich.

Ladies and non-lady-identified people, I present you the Ladies' Home Journal Journal recipe for New England September Soup! When I serve it later today, I'll add photos.

Makes: 8  servings Prep 1 hr Cook 2 hrs

Ingredients

  • 4 SMALL lobsters, cooked
  • 2 cups  chicken broth or water
  • 8 cups  water
  • 4 ears yellow corn
  • 4 sprigs fresh thyme or 1/2 teaspoon dried
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 1 teaspoon  whole black peppercorns
  • 1 tablespoon  butter, (no substitutions)
  • 2 cups  thinly sliced onions
  • 1 small sugar pumpkin or butternut squash (2 lb..) peeled, seeded and cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices
  • 1/8 teaspoon  nutmeg
  • 1/2 cup  heavy or whipping cream or 3/4 cup milk
  • 3/4 - 1 teaspoon  kosher salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon  freshly ground pepper
  • Pinch ground red pepper
  • 1 tablespoon  chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley

Directions

1. For the Lobster Broth, remove all lobster meat. Cut lobster meat into 3/4-inch dice; transfer to small bowl, cover and refrigerate. You should have about 2-1/2 cups. With sharp knife, split lobster carcasses (shells) in half. Remove head sack (it can cause bitterness). Combine lobster carcasses, chicken broth, and water in a large Dutch oven. Bring to boil over medium-high heat. Skim any foam from top.
2. Remove kernels from corncobs (you should have 2 cups); set aside. Break corncobs in half, add to broth with thyme, bay leaf, and peppercorns. Reduce heat to medium and simmer broth, partially covered, 1 hour. Strain broth into a large bowl. Discard shells, corncobs, and herbs.
3. Melt butter in a 4-quart Dutch oven or soup pot over medium heat. Add onions and cook, stirring, until softened and golden, 8 minutes. Stir in reserved lobster broth, corn kernels, pumpkin, and nutmeg. Simmer mixture until pumpkin is very tender, 30 to 45 minutes.
4. Puree soup in batches in blender or food processor. Strain mixture through a sieve into a medium saucepan and reheat over medium-low heat. Stir in cream, kosher salt, pepper, and ground red pepper. Gently warm soup 5 minutes. Add reserved lobster meat and cook until lobster is just heated through, about 1 to 2 minutes. Divide soup among 8 shallow serving bowls and sprinkle with parsley. Makes 8 servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment