Saturday, August 17, 2013

Inland Freshwater Seals, or the most beautiful swim of the year

I went up to Solon Maine to work with a filmmaker for an afternoon. When we got done working he asked me if I wanted something to eat, and I said, "You know what I really want? I want to go swimming somewhere beautiful." He said, "I'll go with you." Then his wife came home, and he said, "We're going swimming." And she said, "I was just on my way, I'll join you." And they took me to one of the most beautiful places I have ever gone swimming. A dammed up part of the Kennebec River, in Bingham Maine, and it looks like this:




When I was in the middle of the lake, I remembered that when I first lived in Central Maine, I lived here with someone from Oregon, and I convinced him that there are inland freshwater seals in the lakes here. He didn't believe me at first, but I worked it and I worked it all winter, and all Spring, and I told him that when we took the canoe out on the lake in summer, we would see them. After a while he skeptically believed me, and then he actually believed me. Until summer came, and of course it was all bullshit.

But if they WERE going to live somewhere, would you think they'd want to live here?????

No comments:

Post a Comment