Sunday, June 23, 2013

A morning walk

Back to that simplicity. The fail safe. The thing I can do when I don't know what else to do. One foot in front of the other. This time, in the morning. Notice the birds, notice the flowers, notice the stiffness in my morning joints, slowly easing up. Notice the houses. Notice the sun. Notice the shade. Take in the morning. Join my neighbors. Walk.

This makes it sound like it was a joyless day, which it wasn't. At all. I had brunch with my favorite Brooklyn guys, I had a hilarious text session with my bestie in Chicago, I unexpectedly saw a friend at my theater fest who I always love to see. But each of those things involved obligations to others (good obligations!) that the walk lacked. On the walk, I could turn down whichever street struck my fancy. I could stop for tea (I didn't, but I could have.) I could run some then walk some. Self-determined joy to start my day. The simplicity. The fail safe. One foot in front of the other.

No comments:

Post a Comment