Saturday, April 20, 2013

I heart haddock

It was another intense day. I woke up in Boston, a city that was about to go under lock down. I wasn't sure where Josh was, as he was supposed to take a 1 AM bus out of Boston to get back down to NYC. I had heard from him at 10:30 PM that there had been T delays because of "police activity" and then at 11:30 PM that he had made it to South Station. At that point, I went to sleep. But I woke up at 4 AM, and couldn't resist checking to see what was going on in the world, and found out about the MIT shooting, the car chase, the 2 suspects in Watertown, and transportation shut down. I didn't know if Josh's bus had made it out of Boston.  Long story short, to take all the drama out of the story, he had made it home; was asleep on the couch; his cell phone had run out of juice so he didn't see any of my texts or calls over the next 4 hours; a very good friend ended up going over to our house to see if he was safe and sound and there. I think I got that news about 8:30 AM. I was supposed to leave for Maine around 8 AM, but the city asked us to shelter in place, so I hunkered down on the couch with Claire and watched the news. Eventually we had to go out for something unavoidable, and while we were out we realized it was actually OK for me to take off and drive up to Maine.

The streets were not 100% empty on her side of town, and did certainly not feel like martial law. More like 85% empty, and very sleepy and low-key. As I drove out of the city, through the tunnels, under the bridges, over the bridges, there were lots of signs asking us to sheltered-in, and I did feel bad for disobeying. I also felt that it was likely OK that I was.

Again, long story short, I drove up to Maine, glued to WBUR, I got the first batch of stuff done that I needed to, and as I was calculating the time it would take me to get the second thing done I needed to, I realized that A. I was hungry, B. it was possible that Reds Eats was open for the season, and C. if I called them and asked them to make me a haddock sandwich so it would be ready when I arrived, I would have time to scarf it down and still get to my appointment. And so without further ado, I present you the first grilled haddock sandwich of the season. No line, no wait, pure joy.


No comments:

Post a Comment