Saturday, January 12, 2013

Birthday weekend, Shelter Island, Day 1

I'm turning 50 on Sunday. I decided I want to start this year, my second half-century, by doing a bunch of things I like to do. You know, to set an intention for the rest of my life. I like to walk in pretty places and look at birds. I like to eat fish. I like to be by the water. I like to play music. I like to see theater. I like fires in fireplaces (and am writing this in front of one, having already gone for a walk near the water and eaten fish.) Other things I like to do but don't have plans for this weekend: snorkel in warm water looking at pretty fish and corals, dance, watch movies, read great novels.

When I look at this list (and of course there are other things I like to do) but when I look at this list, I see a lot of things have to do with physical activity outdoors in beautiful places and reading or watching great fiction.  And of course I don't live somewhere with great natural outdoor beauty, but I do live somewhere with great access to movies. And you know what? I rarely go.  So here I am saying that I need to either start taking full advantage of the things I love most about NYC, or I'm need to really truly go elsewhere.

But meantime, here I am: elsewhere.










No comments:

Post a Comment