Friday, November 30, 2012

Sharon Lockhart | Noa Eshkol at the Jewish Museum

My friend the dancer/dance scholar Judith Brin Ingber came into town. We had a bit of work together, and she invited me to go with her and her husband to the Jewish Museum to see the Sharon Lockhart/Noa Eskhol exhibit.

I like Judith very much, and so I said yes without even checking what I was going to. I also trust that if she's inviting me to something it's probably important for me to know about. And so in the middle of the work day, we hopped a cab over to the East Side and spent 45 minutes in a fascinating exhibition about a woman (Noa) who created an entire system of dance notation, as well as a dance technique that was quite architecturally based. There's no way I'll do justice to explaining what she accomplished, so what I'll tell you is that there are giant video screens in the exhibit, and I could dance along with the dancers on the screen—trying my best to master the precision of the movement. Also, that Noa created "wall carpets" which are essentially quilts that she made without ever cutting the found material that she used. (She would layer it, but not cut it.) I want to try out her sewing method.

It's good to remember that if I'm willing to pay for a cab, I can get over to a museum and see one exhibit in the time I go running on a lunch break. 

No comments:

Post a Comment