Thursday, March 17, 2011

No, now

Never Done: Went to Team in Training Triathlon Kick-Off

And got full-on, headache, shivering, uncontrolled coughing sick in the middle of it. What am I to make of that? Meanwhile, there was a guy talking with us from the stage who told us that he was in chemo, being treated for lymphoma, when the woman next to him -- also getting chemo -- invited him to join her triathlon team. He politely told her that maybe, one day, when chemo was done, when he was better -- maybe then he would consider it. And she looked at him and said, "No, now." And the following Saturday, in the middle of treatment, he joined the triathlon team and trained and completed a triathlon.

Now I know the fact that he could do that doesn't mean that my throat isn't actually burning sore, and that it's not OK to wish I were home in bed instead of in the Blood Center of New York on 67th and 3rd. I do know that sick is sick, and uncomfortable is uncomfortable, and that we all have our own paths, and that I have a video shoot to produce and it sucks that I am going to be full-on sick on the day of the shoot, and it's really going to suck if I can't control my coughing and have to leave the room because shoot day is the most fun day of all the weeks of work that come before and after. I know all that. But also, hopefully, that guy's story will help motivate me when I have to get to 8 AM running practice this coming Saturday. And I will need motivation, because it has practically been my religion that I do not run at 8 AM.

(I am writing this from the morning of that above-mentioned video shoot, so I don't have time to go into more detail now, although there are many more things to say about the kick-off. If I can, I will come back and modify this post later. In the meantime, it's cough drops and Tylenol, and off to work.)

No comments:

Post a Comment