Sunday, February 6, 2011

I entered the New Yorker Cartoon Caption Contest

Never Done: Entered the New Yorker Cartoon Caption Contest
Never Done: Completed GPS/MAPP (Group Preparation and Selection/Model Approach to Partnerships in Parenting) class

One of my goals for this year is to be a finalist in the New Yorker Cartoon Caption Contest. Since one of the most useful rules I've ever learned about writing comedy is that it's about quantity, not quality, I generated 10 potential captions, not worrying about whether or not they were funny, and then chose one direction, and worked at it until I couldn't figure out how to make it any funnier, and then took the plunge and submitted it.

I think what I submitted falls short, but a journey of a thousand miles ... you know. And also, there is something liberating about clicking on the "submit" button without worrying too much about the outcome. The stakes are low, another opportunity will come along next week, and perfection is not always the goal.

Meanwhile, speaking about perfection and the goal, I completed GPS/MAPP class -- and got a certificate and everything, with my names spelled wrong (Levinson) and everything. The organization that did the training -- You Gotta Believe! -- links to an Adopt US Kids ad campaign that says: "You don't need to be perfect to be a perfect parent. Because kids in foster care don't need perfection; they need you." So here I go, taking the final steps (finish writing the 20-page Family Information Form, get a bigger apartment) toward the bank of the river, so I can jump off and get swept downstream with all the other imperfect parents.

1 comment:

  1. Jenny, you inspired me yet again! This was also on my life to-do list, and I just went online and submitted. I think I am actually going with the "don't think about it too much, just submit something every week" approach. Wait, Wait Don't Tell Me, you are next!

    ReplyDelete