Friday, November 26, 2010

So many things I've still never done

Never Done: Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade, and Big Balloon Blow-Up the night before

And they will have to stay on my list for next year, because I still have never done them. I actually meant to go to the big balloon blow-up this year, but I completely forgot to. (I didn't mean to go to the Parade.) Instead I spend a wonderful day with Andy, Jesse, Erez, Lucas, Josh, John, and Andy's Aunt Betty (all people I've spent Thanksgiving with before) as well as with Cindy, Mark, Marcio, Betty, and Steve (never done.)

I did do a few other things I have never done (unpacked the rest of my clothes from my move 6 weeks ago; took a Thanksgiving run in Prospect Park; made whipped mashed potatoes; bought paper white narcissus with Jesse that had not yet opened (because it felt more hopeful than the alternative, which was to buy some that were in bloom but just past their prime) only to see them actually open on the dinner table, during dessert.

But rather than write about any of this, it seems like the right day to list some of the things on my big list of things that I've never done, most of which I hope to do this year, some of which I hope to do before I am 50, and some of which I never hope to do.

Go to the Upright Citizen's Brigade
Kayak on the Hudson

Have a child

Get a tattoo

Have a community garden plot

Win one of those ice cream naming contests

Get married (I have never wanted to do this)

Ride a roller coaster (this either)

Travel to Corsica

Get fluent in Spanish

Make a duct tape dress
Join a book group

Drink absinthe

Sing in the Sing Along Messiah

Go to the World Series
Shoot a gun
Complete a mini triathalon
(I don't think this is feasible/wise for my body)
Go out on a lobster boat

Cook duck

Go a day without swearing

Sleep in past noon, not sick

Consult a street psychic

Go to the top of the Empire State Building

Visit all 50 states
(I am pretty sure the only states I have never been to are Alabama, Michigan, Texas, and Hawaii)
Attend a cotillion

Submit to/ be a finalist in/win the New Yorker caption contest

Grow rice

Give an injection
Go on a game show
Make a pinhole camera

Invent retractable ear buds

Create a mini golf hole on Governor’s island

See a puffin

Learn how to sew a zipper

Go to Kripalu

Visit all my Facebook friends

Sponsor a refugee

Have my big birthmark on my shoulder removed

Join a synagogue

Sell a screenplay (I am in negotiations right now...)

If you want to do one of these with me, please do join me. I
especially can't invent retractable ear buds on my own.

1 comment:

  1. I am calling DIBS on:
    --your visit to Michigan. Our lake house in Michiana awaits your visit, name the date.
    --sewing a zipper. I happen to own 2 sewing machines (technically 3 but one of them is circa 1930 and would need a little tune-up) so we can sew together, in Michiana.
    --and then we can make duct tape dresses together. And wear them to a cotillion. While we drink absinthe, shoot guns, and avoid swearing. Which might be hard to do after all the absinthe...

    xoxo Karen

    ReplyDelete