Tuesday, November 9, 2010

I took a nap

Never Done: Take a power nap before noon

I worked all weekend -- got up at 6:45 AM both days to fit in all the stuff I had to get written, and still be able to go to parenting class, the gym, and the Paul Weller show, so by Monday morning, I was super tired, but still got up at 6:45 to get everything done I needed to. Do you know those days when you sit at the computer, and you type, but you don't type much of anything useful? Or you sit at the computer and you notice that you were nodding off for the past 15 minutes? By 10:30 AM, I had edited a short article, been on an intense conference call, and was nodding off at the keyboard.

I feel like I should set the scene -- my desk/office is in the living room. Josh uses our work space at the Brooklyn Creative League, but he was home preparing for his evening performance. So I was working on the bed. The bed with the cozy flannel comforter. The bed with the cozy flannel comforter in the dark back room.
The bed with the cozy flannel comforter in the dark back room and it was raining outside. And I was nodding off at the keyboard. Was there even a choice?

I slept for about 20 minutes, and then was awake and super-productive all day long. What I love about naps is that they work so well, especially since I don't drink caffeine anymore. A TV writer/show runner I know, when I asked him how he wrote so well on all-nighters, said that the trick is to stay away from caffeine. He eats a spoon full of peanut butter and an orange every couple hours -- protein and fructose -- and takes brisk walks around the block. I also like to hoola hoop for about 5 minutes, which both relaxes and invigorates me. But sometimes I just need a nap, but until now, I have not had one before noon. (And I am not usually bound by the constraints of the clock -- I have been known to eat a spoonful of ice cream first thing in the morning.)

As I'm writing this, I'm thinking about what this post is actually about, and I think it's about slowing down, and knowing my limits while still embracing this intense project to do something new -- and write about it -- every day. While working, and while trying to sustain some of the new things I've started into longer-term projects. It's been 53 days. That's 14.5% of the year. 312 naps .... I mean days ... to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment