Saturday, October 30, 2010

To the wedding

Never do again: Set off on a trip without personally checking the directions. This was the first day since I started my Never Done year that I didn't do something I'd never done before (which as someone pointed out to me is, in itself, never done.) So I decided to add a new concept to the project: things I will never do again.

I don't know if sense of direction is innate or acquired, but I one way or another, I got an excellent one. My partner -- not so much. So when we set out for a wedding weekend in Fishkill, NY, and I left the directions to him, I inadvertently signed up for turning a 1 hour 45 minute trip into a 3-hour journey, in which we crossed the Hudson twice (Tappan Zee bridge heading west and Newburgh-Beacon bridge back across) instead of not at all. Not that it was all horrible. We found a classic rock station that played Pete Townsend and the Stones, and so we turned up the volume and sang along. But ... I am prone to car sickness, and we were trying to get to the wedding weekend early rather than late, and I would always rather spend my extra hour walking in the woods than sitting in bridge traffic. So from now on, I will check the directions myself, before we leave.

No comments:

Post a Comment