Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Embarrassment of riches

Never Done: Ate goat meat. I had dinner with Alissa Wise last night. (Did you just notice that? I wrote her name, not just her initial. I asked her if it was OK.) We went to Purple Yam, a fantastic Filipino fusion restaurant in Ditmas Park, where she had been before, and I had not. She suggested two dishes, and we ended up ordering them both to share -- one was a delicious and complex goat curry, and the other a fresh vegetarian lumpia. When Alissa recommended the goat, I felt a little inner hesitation because I was hungry, and wanted something I knew I would like. But then I had that awareness moment -- "Ah! this is something I've never done!" and so I decided to order it. When it came, and I took a bite, and it was delicious, I put down my fork and asked Alissa if she would say the Shehekianu with me. Because Alissa is not only a good friend, but she is a rabbi. And she is not only a rabbi, but she is the person who introduced me to Mussar, and will be leading a year-long Mussar group I'm going to be in. And she is not only my Mussar teacher, but we were getting together to talk about Never Done: My Mussar Year.

I loved saying the Shehekianu together. Even though I've been saying it every day for over a month, I was totally embarrassed and stumbled over it while saying it together with Alissa. I don't think I had ever said a blessing before while someone looked me straight in the eyes and beamed at me (another Never Done, which would require another Shehekianu, which would be even more embarrassing.) And while I am tempted to report on our conversation about Mussar -- and in particular, Mussar as an ethical framework for life -- I am going to let that wait until our group is underway, and I've internalized more of my own understanding of the practice. Instead, I want to thank you here, in this forum, Alissa, for opening your Jewish door wide open for me, for being my Mussar teacher, and for making me blush. Omeyn.

3 comments:

  1. Jenny, I love this whole project, it's very inspiring. I haven't yet looked into what "Mussar" means, but I get the idea. I look forward to your posts! Nettie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So jealous, wish I lived in NYC and could be part of your study group, can't seem to find anything like it around here ( I looked).

    ReplyDelete